Plans Solidified For Don James Remembrances
SEATTLE – On behalf of the James family, the University of Washington will host a public memorial service for longtime former football coach Don James Sunday, Oct. 27, at 3 p.m. at Alaska Airlines Arena. Again, this event is open to the public.
Additionally, the UW has announced the following remembrances of Coach James during Saturday night's homecoming football game vs. California (kickoff: 8 p.m.).
• James family members will serve as honorary captains for the pre-game coin toss.
• The Husky Marching Band will perform "A Tribute to The Dawgfather," including a memorial video and former UW football players, during halftime.
• Due to the late kickoff time, and also due to the halftime tribute, The Zone will be open ONLY during pre-game hours (5 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
• The UW players will wear helmet decals for the remainder of the 2013 season.
• UW coaches and other sideline staff will wear a similar patch.
• Due to the halftime activities, the annual Homecoming "Blanket Parade," involving former UW letterwinners, will be moved to pre-game.
• Further remembrances may also be added once details are worked out during the course of the coming week.
Lastly, the following statement from UW director of athletics Scott Woodward:
"It wasn't until I arrived at the University of Washington that I truly understood the profound impact Coach James had on all facets of this university and on our athletic department. He set a standard for excellence that all of our coaches and staff strive for each day, and that legacy will live on forever. It was an honor to spend time with Coach James and I will treasure his words and advice. Our thoughts and prayers are with Carol and the James family and we - along with Huskies everywhere - will be here for them always."